Why you should watch out for these 6 things when you buy from a builder.
How do you buy a home from a new builder? If you’ve never gone through the process before, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
A good Realtor can help you navigate the home-building process.
1. Pick a reputable developer. Once you’ve chosen one, do some more research. Look online, read their reviews, and make sure you’ve picked the right builder for you.
2. Watch out for add-ons. Buying a new home is like buying a car: Builders will try to sell you on all sorts of add-ons that cost extra. Most of the time, model homes will have some of these extras already in there, so make sure you know what you’re buying.
3. Stay involved throughout the process. Talk to your builder, watch the construction, and stay in the loop. This is where you could benefit from teaming up with a great Realtor because they can help you ask questions, talk to the builder, etc. You also want to get involved in the neighborhood and ensure that this is a place you’ll want to live.
4. Be flexible with your deadlines. They’ll probably give you an estimate for your closing date, but remember that they can’t control this process like they once did. Have a plan in case the original timeline falls through.
5. Communicate with your builder. You’ll also want to do a final walk-through. Again, a good Realtor can help you navigate this part of the process. At this time, you can also hire an outside inspector to check the home and make sure it is completed.
6. Study the builder’s warranties. Before you start the process, give these a once-over and make sure they are comprehensive and that you understand them. You may also want to ask your Realtor for referrals for your home insurance and other services.
If you have any questions or want to suggest a future video topic, please call or email us. We’d love to help.