Five tips to help you decide when the right time to move is.
Buyers and sellers often ask when the right time to enter the real estate market is. We’re currently experiencing a crazy market, so I’m sharing a few things to consider to help you decide when the right time is for you and your family to enter the market:
1. What’s your motivation? Usually, people buy or sell a home because something major has happened in their lives. That could mean they’ve been married, had a baby, retired, are relocating for a job, etc. The other question to ask yourself is what your finances look like. Have they dramatically increased or decreased? Is that another motivating factor?
2. Every market is different. We live in and love the Hill Country, and right now, our market is very strong. Many people are moving here from other cities or states for our higher standard of living. However, you need to evaluate your specific market at the time you’re thinking about moving.
You also need to consider the interest rates. Though we’ve enjoyed great interest rates recently, we’re starting to see them rise. Rates will impact your sales price and buying price point.
“Many people are moving here from other cities or states to get a better quality of life.”
3. Seasonality. You may have a personal preference of when you want to buy or sell. For example, you might want to move in the summer when your kids are out of school. As far as the Hill Country goes, our market is fairly strong throughout the entire year, except maybe from Thanksgiving through mid-January.
4. Sellers should always put their best foot forward. Even if you’re putting your house on the market in the winter, make sure your landscaping is spruced up. You’ll leave money on the table if your house isn’t in top condition. Work with a real estate agent that will help you decide what’s needed before selling.
5. Money isn’t everything. This is my most important tip today. It’s not all about getting the most money for your house. It’s more about making sure you’re making good life decisions both for your finances and family. Real estate is many different things; it’s physical, it’s difficult to move, and it’s emotionally stressful. Ensure every piece fits together well before jumping into the market.
If you have questions about when the right time is to enter the market or anything else, call or email us. We would love to speak with you. Also, let us know what you want to hear about in our future blog posts. We want to make videos that are helpful for you.